Re: linux-nfs-0.4.21 for Alpha glibc

Bill Hawes (whawes@star.net)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 10:08:46 -0500

Olaf Kirch wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 27, 1997 at 10:58:30PM +0000, Philip Blundell wrote:
> > The rule of thumb when writing code for glibc is to avoid including
> > any kernel
> > headers - if you need definitions that are only found in the kernel headers
> > then you should duplicate them in your own code (hopefully there aren't too
> > many). This is a bit of a pain sometimes, but it's a cleaner solution than
> > trying to patch up all the kernel headers to make them safe to include (which
> > is often hard without breaking some libc5 application along the way).
>
> I will release a clean set of user-land include files once the kernel
> API for NFS mounts and knfsd is stable.

Hi Olaf,

Unless someone else is contemplating changes, I think it's safe to
declare the kernel API for knfsd is stable. There undoubtedly are bugs
remaining to be fixed, but this shouldn't require any changes to the
API, and cleaning up the include files and linux-nfs package will
encourage more people to test knfsd.

Regards,
Bill