Re: Masquerade: Any large network limits?

Andi Kleen (ak@muc.de)
31 Dec 1997 22:52:30 +0100

Jacques Gelinas <jack@solucorp.qc.ca> writes:
> I have no precise numbers, but one site I help manage have a single DX4
> with 8 megs acting as firewall and masquerading box for a 32 schools.
>
> They are connected to the internet using a 256k link (which is incredibly
> overload). They will go to a T1. I don't expect the DX4 to change
>
> As far as I know, this machine pretty much do nothing: Almost idle all the
> time.

It isn't idle. Work done in interrupt handlers/bottom halves is just not
accounted in the load average (and packet forwarding/firewalling
only happens there). As long as it doesn't lose packets it should be
OK though.

-Andi