Recompiling Kernel - initrd question

Paul Norton (pnorton@ccnvhi.com)
Wed, 31 Dec 1997 16:12:13 -0800

Chuck writes:
--- deletia ---
> The bane of my problems is a nasty conflict between an AWE64 sound board and an IBM
> Auto 16/4 ISA Token adp. The I/O ports are the conflict, and my network performance is
> almost non-existant. I have two options for I/O with the token ring card, (0A24) and I
> forget the other, anyways I have tried every combo of I/O addresses with both cards
> and none will work. I have the following I/O options for the AWE64, 220, 240, 260 and
> 280.

The token-ring card uses I/O range 0xa20-0xa23 as primary adapter or
0xa24-0xa27 as alternate. If you set the SoundBlaster adapter to 0x240
or above then there should be no conflict. Are you getting any unusual
messages in syslog? Does /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports look normal?

> 3) Anyways, I want the most stable kernel that has decent token ring support, SMP support,
> and sound support. (I do not care if Linux thinks the sound board is simply a SB16, I just
> want basic sound support), what do you guys recommend? Oh yea, while not majorly important,
> I would like vfat support as well.

I'm running 2.1.71 on my development box at home, which is token-ring,
SMP and sound-capable (SB16-SCSI), and it seems ok. 2.0.32 also works
fine.