Re: hardlinks.... sucks... ;-(

Tuomas Heino (tbittih@xgw.fi)
Fri, 2 Jan 1998 00:57:35 +0200 (EET)

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 aem@netcom.ca wrote:

> > Hmm... does ANY other program than chown have this kinda problems with -R ? ;)
> > ... IMHO programs should deny root from doing obviously stupid things...
>
> No way. Root can _always_ shoot him/herself in the foot.
> That is the great order of things. Don't mess with mother nature :-)
>
> Shall we protect against 'rm -r / tmp/*' too? :-) I've seen clowns
> do this obviously stupid move too.

hmm I've actually heard of distros aliasing rm to rm -i for root ...
special casing for / would be easy but many special cases leads to bloating
sooner or later... anyway this's kinda offtopic here...

> > So why not start a holy crusade to get rid of chown:s that do -R ? ;)
>
> Err...you mean clowns, right? ;-)

Well IMHO the -R in chown is one of the things that should be useless for
sensible root ppl ... but my opinions are just my opinions ... and those
opinions include quite a bit of
if((geteuid()||getegid()||__root_parameter_at_cmd_line)==0)exit(-EROOT);

[yeah I know this message's missing something but who cares?]