Re: lack of raw disk devices

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Sun, 4 Jan 1998 11:48:50 -0500 (EST)

On Sun, 4 Jan 1998, Harald Milz wrote:

> Marty Leisner (leisner@sdsp.mc.xerox.com) wrote:
> > I understand linux doesn't have raw devices because
> > we don't need it.
>
> We actually do. A couple of database product make use of raw devices if
> they exist, e.g. Oracle.

They are just looking for excuses.. They could use whats already there..
They just would have to deal with the fact that the OS is going to cache
things in ways they dont like..
They want to have complete input/output cach control.. Yes, that would be
important if Linux was their prime target.. But they could just say 'the
Linux version is beta/not as good and stable because of it' and when they
decide that Linux was a platform they really like: They could make a
friggen kernel module to provide a raw interface.