Re: Y2k - Is Linux Ready for the year 2000?

Mike Wangsmo (wanger@redhat.com)
Tue, 06 Jan 1998 09:00:16 -0500

On 05 Jan 1998 23:15:41 -0600, Eric W. Biederman wrote:

>RJ> The problems, if they exist at all, are in __applications__ code! It is
>RJ> very difficult to make application code using the 'C' runtime library,
>RJ> that would not work beyond the year 2000. The year 2000 means nothing
>RJ> special to Unix machines.
>
>Wrong. date at least the old one I have will die in the year 2000.
>
>RJ> Of course one could set the machine time and do a sample run, but
>RJ> that would be too easy.
>
>Easy test as you said set the machine time, and do a sample run and be
>suprised at how much breaks.

I did this several months ago with a RH4.2 machine. I let it run from
25DEC99 until around 10FEB00 and watched it for things that quit working.
As far as I could gleen (although I was mostly concerend with logging
events and logrotate), nothing broke. Maybe I missed something?????

Mike

Mike Wangsmo, QA Manager Red Hat Software, Inc.

"If you hit the ball hard enough, you never have to run!" --Mike Piazza