Re: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev (new idea)

Patrick St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 08:39:40 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Stephen Williams wrote:
> It *only* works if you don't touch it:-) I have spent way too many days
> restoring a solaris system from media after a driver fart (or power glitch)
> at an inconvenient moment. The Linux kernel should not EVER require external
> files or programs to execute a shell.

I agree completely, which is why I was saying that there should be
REASONABLE defaults coded in for permissions and ownership. Just so when
nothing else is run the system is usable. After that, use a USER SPACE
program to tell the kernel to change stuff... I do not want the kernel
messing with physical files either... That is a Bad Thing(tm).

Pat

| Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com |
| Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115 |
| Larson Software Technology                        http://www.cgmlarson.com |