Re: PROPOSAL: /proc/dev (new idea)

Patrick St. Jean (psj@cgmlarson.com)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 11:48:11 -0600 (CST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> No one has advocated having the KERNEL update config files.. Thats upto a
> userspace util..

I've already got one spec'd out... some of it's pseudocode, some's not...
The pseudocode is where the kernel interface comes in...

> A reasonable default is root.root mode 700... Although the most
> conserviatve of all possible modes, it would still allow a root shell to
> work just fine.

IMHO that's a great default.

I was thinking about the whole modules debacle... It seems to me that
requiring a module that MAY get loaded at some point in time to register
itself might be a way to go... It's ugly, but... Maybe something like
a regmod addition to the ins/ls/rmmod suite?

Pat

| Patrick St. Jean              '97 XLH 883                psj@cgmlarson.com |
| Programmer & Systems Administrator                    +1 713-977-4177 x115 |
| Larson Software Technology                        http://www.cgmlarson.com |