Re: Sound as modules - i give up...

Daniel Bergstrom (noa-linux-kernel@futurniture.se)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 19:31:12 +0100

On Tue, Jan 06, 1998 at 10:20:35AM -0600, Jeffrey Hundstad wrote:
> Since the introduction of the New sound drivers into the later 2.1.7x
> kernels i have been unable to figure out how to load the sound drivers
> as moduels. I have looked high and low (but obviously not high or low
> enough,) and can not fine documentation how how SPECIFICALLY to load my
> sound drivers.
>
> I have a Pro Audio Spectrum 16 and I figure the sequence as follows:
>
> 1. compile sound and pas as modules
> 2. insmod sound
> 3. insmod pas2 param=value <- where parm=value is
> are irq, base, dma size etc.
>
> Where are the EXACT names of these parm(s). I have looked in the
> linux/drivers/sound/[A-Z]* and in the sound source itself... and can't
> glean what I need.
>
> HELP!
>

> -jeffrey hundstad
>
> BTW: running 2.1.78 - modutils-2.1.71

I'm not a kernel hacker, but rather a user that likes expermienting,
and has too much free time (not really) so this is not an expert speaking,
but I will tell you what I have found out while trying to get working modular
sound.

I have a souncard integrated on my Intel Providence motherboard that is based
on the cs4236-chip.

First off i had great trouble to compile my modules w/o unresolved symbols,
a patch downloaded from
ftp://ftp.shout.net/pub/users/mec/patch/sound-module.2176
took care of that, but unfortunately it doesnt apply to later kernel releases.

Then i needed to send the right options to my module (cs4232.o) and the
first ting i needed to to was to add some MODULE_PARM() lines to the cs4232.c
code to be able to set the right parameters like this:

+MODULE_PARM(io, "i");
+MODULE_PARM(irq, "i");
+MODULE_PARM(dma, "i");
+MODULE_PARM(dma2, "i");

then i could set my parameters right and get the module working.

I also found out by running 'kerneld -debug' that when sound-functionality
is asked for by a program it asks for 'char-major-14' which kerneld
automagically translates to sound, which wont work with the new splitted up
approach. By adding 'alias char-major-14 cs4232' to my /etc/conf.modules
i got on demand loading of my sound as well.

My current problem is that with 2.1.78 i cannot compile sound modules that
doesnt generate 'unresolved symbols'. With
CONFIG_SOUND=m
and
CONFIG_CS4232=m
in my .config i get
/lib/modules/2.1.78/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol attach_mpu401
/lib/modules/2.1.78/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol probe_mpu401
/lib/modules/2.1.78/misc/sound.o: unresolved symbol unload_mpu401
when i try to insert sound

If i'm missing something obvious please mail me in private and explain that
to me.

cheers!
/daniel

--
                                        -o)
daniel bergstrom -=- proud linux user   /\\