Re: CONFIG_SMP as a real kernel option?

Michael Elizabeth Chastain (mec@shout.net)
Tue, 6 Jan 1998 17:25:30 -0600

James Mastros writes:
> Now that MEC's new configuration scheme is in place, why not
> have CONFIG_SMP as a normal config option (ie in .configure and
> arch/*/Config.in)? The reasoning that it would make most every file in
> the kernel be rebuilt on any change in the config is no longer valid,
> so why?

Patience!

Here is my Road Map:

Right now I'm still chasing sound driver bugs. I have some bug
reports against sound-module.2176 and I'm fixing those. Then if the
changes introduced in 2.1.77 have been stabilized I can make a new
sound-module.2178 or sound-module.2179.

Meanwhile, Smart Config just went into 2.1.78. Even after its extensive
beta testing, there's always a chance someone will find something that I
will need to fix. I like to be conservative so I don't want to publish
CONFIG_SMP again until Smart Config is further towards retirement.

Plus everyone who's tested my patches and has published a patch of
their own, I owe them a test report.

Michael Chastain
<mailto:mec@shout.net>
"love without fear"