OFFTOPIC: Re: hardlinks.... sucks... ;-(

Mitch Davis (mjd#NOSPAM@nsmd.aus.hp.com)
Wed, 07 Jan 1998 18:29:15 +1100

Albert D. Cahalan wrote:

> > Try something a bit like one of the following:
> >
> > find / -user 1234 -print | xargs chown 4321
> > find / -user 1234 -print | xargs rm
> > find / -user 1234 -exec chown 4321 {} ;
> > find / -user 1234 -exec rm {} ;
>
> It seems a file starting with "-" could cause trouble too.
> Maybe a name like "--follow-symlinks" would be interesting.

A file containing a space causes xargs to perform in an often-
unexpected manner. When in doubt, -exec is the (slower but surer) way
to go.

Mitch.

PS: Many thanks to those who set me straight with HP's 24-bit minor
device numbers.

--
| mailto:mjd#NOSPAM@nsmd.aus.hp.com  | Not an official view of:  |
| mailto:mjd#NOSPAM@alphalink.com.au | Telecom Management Divn   |