Re: Y2k - Is Linux Ready for the year 2000?

Wed, 7 Jan 1998 09:04:24 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Harald Koenig wrote:

> On Jan 06, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > > Machines physically have problems. The RTC for example, may not work.
> > > This may be at least in part a kernel issue.
> >
> > Not true. Read the documentation. The current year at offset 0x09, is a
> > byte in BCD. The current CENTURY at offset 0x32 is a byte in BCD. This
> > allows time to be kept to 9999. Even the BIOS allows it to be set to
> > 2099 which is greater than the BIOS time can be kept (2033).
>
> the RTC on my ASUS SP3G switches from Dec 31 1999 to Jan 1 1900.

[SNIPPED]
The RTC does NOT set the century at all. It just stores the century.
If your RTC "wrapped" to zero, the PC BIOS did it. The RTC, when
running Linux, gets set with the `clock -w` command. It gets set
properly. Since the century is never changed by the chip, it will
be necessary to issue such a command sometime after the year 2000
before re-booting so the time will be correct the next time the
system is booted.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.70 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).