Re: 2G file size limitation question

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@MIT.EDU)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 15:04:40 -0500

From: hpa@transmeta.com (H. Peter Anvin)
Date: 7 Jan 1998 09:35:34 GMT

The size field in the inode. It is also a limitation of the VFS
layer, and libc (struct stat, for one.)

It would require massive restructuring of the virtual memory management
layer for the i386, since file I/O is done through the page cache, which
also has the 32 bit limitation.

Gnu libc fortunately already has made provision for a larger off_t, so
the main issue is the VM layer.

Massive changes, including a format change in the ext2 filesystem
(which should be backward-compatible if done right, though.)

It should be easier under the Alpha architecture, and I am planning on
looking into adding 64-bit file support for the Alpha, although to be
honest I've gotten so swamped lately with other projects that I haven't
had a chance to start it yet. I'm hoping to be able to get back to that
project soon, though.

- Ted