Re: BTTV

Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Wed, 7 Jan 1998 21:40:46 +0000 (GMT)

> At ftp.uk.linux.org/pub/linux/video4linux there is a patch against kernel version 2.1.59. Using linux videodev ioctl layer. This driver
> (again) has version "0.01 ALPHA" but has the vbi-hang bug cured. Supplied: v4lgtk.tgz (???), kernel patch and plain files,

As well as a tv application - v4lgtk.tgz for example.

> Well my questions: Which version should I adhere to? Is the video4linux THE
> new standard for Linux and is it going to be developed any further? Are there > any complete versions of xtvscreen or xawtv using the video4linux API and
> where can I find them, or how do I make them? Is there any bttv-vbi
> developing taking place? I noticed for the "bttv 0.4.3" version that the vbi
> reading does not always work right (missing irqs). Is there mailing list or
> newsgroup dedicated to video4linux?

Ok . Video4linux is an API rather than anything else and is using the bttv
code ported to a common API with other modules and arranged to be a bit
more secure (until I've sorted hacking the Xserver this will never be
absolutely perfect).

The video4linux bt848 code is bttv 0.4.x rewrapped. The PMS code is taken
from the PMS-Grabber application and the quickcam support from libqcam (as
per the credits in all the source files). The non video4linux introduced
bugs and also improvements in the original stuff will get folded into
the video4linux versions too

Alan