Re: OFFTOPIC (Rhapsody API on Linux)

Josh Buysse (BUYSSEJ@coffman.umn.edu)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 14:53:33 +1100

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 14:23:26 -0500, Jim Nance spoke thusly:
> On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 12:22:36PM -0500, Mathew Burrack wrote:
> > Unless, of course, the Rhapsody interface is as similar to UNIX as I've
> > heard--perhaps then it wouldn't be too much effort to port the Rhapsody
> > version to Linux--or would it?
>
> If Rhapsody is a lot like UNIX, then probably the best thing to do would
> be to write whatever is necessary to allow Linux to run Rhapsody applications.
> This should be much easier than writting something like WINE where the OS
> differences are so great.

Rhapsody is still a NeXTstep/OpenStep derivative. At least in the old
days, NeXT had a version of the Rhapsody *API* that ran on top of
Solaris, HP/UX, and maybe a couple of other insignificant platforms, like
NT. Apple's planning on keeping this alive. Now, all we need to do is
convince Apple to support a port of the Rhapsody runtimes to Linux (on
all architectures), and convince Metrowerks (compiler people) to support
Rhapsody/Linux as a target.

Not that farfetched, with Apple's commitment to universities and the
rumors about them giving away Rhapsody and WebObjects to higher ed. Or,
we could work from the GNUStep base and try to make that Rhapsody-
compliant...

(yes, I am a Unix user who still loves Apple. Got a problem with that?)

Josh Buysse
buyssej@coffman.umn.edu

--
My best advice to anyone who wants to raise a happy,
mentally healthy child is: Keep him or her as far away