Re: devfs patch v3

ketil@ii.uib.no
12 Jan 1998 18:40:07 +0100

Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU> writes:

> So, before I make any changes towards subdirectories in /dev, I want
> to get some kind of consensus (at least from those not implacably
> opposed to devfs) as to how deep these directory structures should go.

I would prefer the directory structure to be named by type of device,
and have device names be the SCSI path. Like:

/dev/disk/h0c0t4l0s1
/dev/tape/h0c0t5

And perhaps

/dev/cdrom/h0c0t2

and maybe even

/dev/disk/ide0a
/dev/floppy/0

I don't want to hunt around for e.g. my tape drive or cdrom, it's much
more common to look for a device of a specific type, than for a specific
target/lun/slice or whatever.

~k<m