Re: devfs

Stephan Meyer (Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 18:49:30 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 jalvo@cloud9.net (John G. Alvord) wrote:
>
> > >/dev/disk/sd.h0.c0/i3.d0.p1????
>
> > The use of letters like h and d is rather English-centric for the exact
> > physical name. A pure dot/dash/underline separated physical name
> > would require less to explain for non-Englishspeakers.
>
> And "/dev/disk" isn't english-centric? What does "/dev" mean for all
> those non-English-speakers? Does "sd" not stand for "SCSI Disk"?
> I think this reasoning is suspect.

No, it isn't. (ok, IMHO :)

Translating a word is easy, I read it, I get the meaning.

But guessing, as a non-native-English-speaking person, what word a letter
might stand for is nowhere near being intuitive. Put dots in between or
nothing and all. And write a nice manpage.

Thanks.

> --Scott

Stephan.Meyer@pobox.com
meyerst@informatik.uni-muenchen.de
http://pobox.com/~stephan.meyer/
2A 64 F0 73 02 91 10 FC 18 CC 83 1E E2 2C 7E 79

So what would an angel say
The devil wants to know