Re: devfs

Lamaste Storken (simius@devnull.lamers.org)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 21:29:55 +0000 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Stephan Meyer wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> > On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 jalvo@cloud9.net (John G. Alvord) wrote:
> >
> > And "/dev/disk" isn't english-centric? What does "/dev" mean for all
> > those non-English-speakers? Does "sd" not stand for "SCSI Disk"?
> > I think this reasoning is suspect.
>
> No, it isn't. (ok, IMHO :)
>
> Translating a word is easy, I read it, I get the meaning.
>
> But guessing, as a non-native-English-speaking person, what word a letter
> might stand for is nowhere near being intuitive. Put dots in between or
> nothing and all. And write a nice manpage.

As a "non-native-English-speaking" completely objective (on this subject)
person, i'd like to say that, even if the letters dont help me.
They wont make the situation any worse.. so if the letters do help some
people why should they be changed to dots,dashes, or whatever that wont
help anyone..

//Simon

--- -- -
Dreams are "nothing" sister?
Without dreams there could be no despair.
-- -
simius@lamers.org