Re: disk naming proposal & devfs (fwd)

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 14:38:51 +1100

On Tue, Jan 13, 1998 at 10:54:13AM +1100, Richard Gooch wrote:
> Yes and no. I create the old-style sda* names so people can still
> refer to those, but the new names are like: sd_h0c0i0l0p2
> I.e.: host,channel,id,lun,partition.

I still wish there was a better letter than 'l' for the LUN. How about 'u'
for Unit. The reason I ask is that h1c1i1l1p1 looks very ugly in the
middle. The letters h c i and p are all quite distinguishable from the
digits because of their vertical properties. With the exception of 'h', the
others don't extend above half way and the side of the 'h' is out the front
on the left. 'u' falls into the same category.

Also, what did you think of my suggestion of ignoring the LUN part when it
is compiled out of the kernel or on devices that don't support it.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]