Re: devfs

Leonard N. Zubkoff (lnz@dandelion.com)
Mon, 12 Jan 1998 22:44:30 -0800

From: Richard Gooch <rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 1998 11:08:19 +1100

I think a standard naming scheme like sd_h0c0i0l0p2 will have to be
enforced (i.e. no config option), and the old scheme available as a
config option, and that's what I'll support. We need a simple,
understandable standard that works for everybody. It may not satisfy
everybody, but it will work.

I agree that a single convention is a good idea. I personally would prefer to
see "t" for Target ID rather than "i", since that's more common on other
systems. I'd also rather avoid "l" for LUN (logical unit) since it is easily
confused with the number one. How about "u" (for unit)? The above example
would then become sd_h0c0t0u0p2. Using "u" also has the advantage that the
letters chosen are all shorter than digits, making it easier to spot the
pattern, even at a distance from the screen.

One interesting problem with this scheme: with the current module system, host
adapter numbers monotonically increase. Unloading a SCSI driver and reloading
it will change the host number, thereby making any device names incorrect. I
understand that some people actually do this unload/reload process and have
certain devices only available when they actually need them.

Leonard