Re: devfs

ketil@ii.uib.no
13 Jan 1998 09:29:19 +0100

"Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu> writes:

> Easy to read from a distance on a fuzzy monitor: 0-1-1-0-1
> Hard to read from a distance on a fuzzy monitor: c0b1u1l0p1

I may be spoiled, since I just got a new, nice monitor, but for me it
would be much faster to look at the latter, than to look at the former
and having to look up the exact sequence in some man page.

There are too many variables that sysadmins won't see often enough to
know by heart, the most common question is going to be where the device
with some SCSI ID is at, and screw LUNs and channels and whatnot. It's
very simple to remember that the ID is called target ID, and follows the
little "t", compared to remember which posistion it is at.

Then, there's the compatibility issue. This is the naming scheme used
by commercial unices (Solaris, HP - Digital uses /dev/rrzNx, any other
data points?) There's an advantage to migrating applications as well as
users.

I would also oppose having this configurable, since it would mean that
it would vary from computer to computer, and that a kernel may fail to
boot (or at least to mount from the fstab). And, it's not *that* much
of a difference.

~kzm