Re: [Feature Wish] GGI in Linux 2.3

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 10:38:21 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998, Jon M. Taylor wrote:
> <offtopic>
> LibGGI is emerging as the true centerpiece of GGI, not KGI as was
> first thought. LibGGI is a platform-independent set of dynamic libraries
> supporting accelerated 2D and 3D display devices with suppport for
> multiheading/homing, remote displays and a varitey of supported
> platforms/targets:
>
> * Linux/KGI
> * Linux/X
> * Linux/3Dfx GLIDE
> * FreeBSD/X
> * OpenBSD/X
> * Solaris/X
> * Solaris/sunfb
> * Digital Unix/X
> * IRIX/X

Can you please be more specific and also tell us the supported platform names?

Linux runs on ia32, m68k, Alpha, SPARC, MIPS, PPC
OpenBSD runs on ia32, SPARC, m68k, ...
Solaris runs on SPARC, ia32 (and still on PPC?)

> Targets/platforms coming soon:
>
> * Linux/SVGAlib

SVGAlib definitely doesn't run on Linux/everything. Most people still think
Linux runs on PC, but IMHO the big advantage of Linux is that it runs on about
everything (I have to admit *BSD is better at this).

> * Win32 GDI
> * Win32 DirectX
> * Win32 3Dfx GLIDE

Win32 runs on ia32 and Alpha (MIPS, PPC?)

> * MacOS Quickdraw

MacOS runs on m68k and PPC

> * BeOS

BeOS runs on PPC and ia32.

> * MS-DOS (SciTech VBE/AF 3.0)
>
> GGI is not called Linux-GGI any more because of this large and
> growing cross-platform capability.
> </offtopic>

Greetings,

Geert