Re: devfs

ketil@ii.uib.no
14 Jan 1998 09:20:35 +0100

"Leonard N. Zubkoff" <lnz@dandelion.com> writes:

> sure... like ted tso said.. this is starting to get ridiculous.
> let's settle on /dev/sd/h0c0t0u0s2 and leave it at that.

> /dev/sd/h0c0t0u0s2 it is!

Only want to point out that, if we want to sort devices by
functionality, you may not want to put IDE drives in a different
directory from your SCSI drives. It may be all right, but my personal
preference is to have all disks in one directory, tapes in another,
removable storage in a third, etc.

And where do raw devices go in this scheme? /dev/rsd?

I realise some may find this discussion tedious, and would rather go
about implementing it, but I do think careful planning of such a change
is rather imperative.

~kzm