Re: SCSI naming scheme: I've almost decided

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.CSIRO.AU)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 23:08:55 +1100

Martynas Kunigelis writes:
> Erik Andersen wrote:
> >

> > I would prefer keeping cdrom devices seperate, personally. Shall we put
> > all floppy disks in /dev/disk too? I really think that having a shallow
> > directory tree in /dev that groups devices by _type and function_ would be
> > most useful, i.e:
> >
> > /dev/disk
> > /dev/cdrom
> > /dev/floppy
> > /dev/scanner
> > /dev/input/keyboard
> > /dev/input/mouse
> > /dev/input/joystick
> > /dev/camera
> > /dev/video
> > /dev/sound
> > /dev/sound/midi
> > /dev/sound/sequencer
> > /dev/sound/dsp
> > etc...
> >
> > In each category would go devices of that type regardless of whether the
> > underlying interface was via scsi, ide, parport, pci card, or whatever.
> > Combining this with the devfs would allow a user to easily check all
> > installed equipment by simply doing a 'ls -R /dev', without needing to
> > know that a /dev/[insert random looking alpha-numerics] is a [some device
> > type]. What do you think?
> >

> I think this is a *really* good idea, when GGI comes up /dev/graphics
> would be
> added, but, as someone already said, Richard has the sources ...
> Richard? ;)

Subdirectories will be available in the next patch. The above layout
or something similar seems OK. In case you've missed it, I've finally
decided on the naming for SCSI discs: /dev/sd/c0b0t0u0s0
controller(host),bus(channel),target(id),unit(lun),stripe(partition).
Any further arguments on that topic may be forwarded to Linus ;-)

Regards,

Richard....