Re: Solaris partitions (was devfs)

Rip Loomis (rip@clark.net)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 15:31:33 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 15 Jan 1998, Steffen Grunewald wrote:

> "Rip Loomis writes"
> |>
> |> An excerpt from a Solaris 2.5.1/x86 system's /etc/vfstab follows:
> |>
> |> #device device mount FS fsck mount mount
> |> #to mount to fsck point type pass at boot options
> |> /dev/dsk/c0d0s6 /dev/rdsk/c0d0s6 /usr ufs 1 no -
> |> /dev/dsk/c0d0p0:c - /win95 pcfs - yes -
[[SNIP]]
> BTW, would it be possible to build and use 'hybrid' partition tables
> that way ? We're now using DOS disks the boot sector of which has

Steffen--
Not quite sure what you meant about "would it be possible"...the system
I pulled that from has no Linux partition, but has the the following
"fdisk" partitions (expressed as if they *were* Linux partitions):
hda1 100MB FAT16 partition
hda2 400MB NTFS partition (NT Workstation, installation 1)
hda3 400MB NTFS partition (NT Workstation, installation 2 for testing)
hda4 1.2GB Solaris (type 83) partition

Within that 1.2GB "fdisk type 83" partition live 6 Solaris "slices",
including the "overlap" slice 2 which addresses the entire 1.2GB fdisk
partition.

Figuring this stuff out and getting NT and Solaris to install on one
system was painful, but kernel >=2.1.77 should support all this
natively...so I'm not sure what your "would this be possible" question
was really asking about.

ObLinuxKernel: Has anyone tested the kernel support for Solaris slices
on a multi-boot system as gnarly as this? I haven't put Linux on here
because I had enough trouble getting Solaris and NT to play nicely
together, but I'm interested in anyone else's results...

--Rip Loomis
rip@{clark.net, ml.org}