Re: Off-topic year-2000

Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:06:00 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Erik Corry wrote:

> In article <Pine.LNX.3.95.980116034803.342A-100000@chaos.analogic.com> you wrote:
> > Investigation of Y2K stuff has shown....
> > With the following program:
>
> > Linux 2.1.70 with libc-5.3.12 shows....
>
> > 386D89D0 Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 2000
> > (correct)
>
> > Linux 2.1.70 with glibc-2.0.5 shows:
>
> > 386D89D0 Sat Jan 1 05:00:00 2000
> > (incorrect)
>
> > SunOs 5.5.1 shows:
> > 386D89D0 Sat Jan 1 00:00:00 2000
> > .... Which is the same as Linux with libc-5.3.12
>
> > The current time, set by (void)time(&tim); in the program is correct
> > in all cases and does not show the 5-hour difference. The 5-hour
> > difference is likely caused by our 5-hour offset from GMT, but it
> > doesn't show such an offset when using the current time, only in
> > the future time.
>
> When I do the same test for my glibc setup, it works as it
> should. Also, there is no difference between now and 2 years
> from now, so I don't think it has anything to do with y2k.
> It looks like your glibc is always runnning in GMT. Are you
> sure you have the timezone files installed in the right place.
> glibc needs them in /usr/share/zoneinfo/ whereas libc needed
> them in /usr/lib/zoneinfo/.

glibc installation changed the links to whatever it wanted. zoneinfo
now links to:

/usr/lib/localtime -> ../../../etc/localtime
/etc/localtime -> /usr/lib/zoneinfo/US/Eastern

/usr/share is an empty directory.
/usr/local/share/zoneinfo has new files with no links set.

Perhaps I am using old zoneinfo with an incompatible library?

> > My TZ variable is set as TZ=EST and is exported. Removing it makes
> > the time GMT so I know it's being checked and included in the
> > calculations.
>
> I can't understand this. Are you saying the results for glibc
> are different if you remove the variable?

Yes.

> I have glibc-2.0.5c-10 from Red Hat.

I go mine unmodified from the mit.edu

> Erik Corry erik@arbat.com

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.70 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).