Re: devfs

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
16 Jan 1998 17:12:26 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.199801160923.KAA01131@blomman13.ce.chalmers.se>,
Fredrik Lundholm <exce7@ce.chalmers.se> wrote:

>Actually, if we expect disks to grow in size to about ~100GB, 7 or 8
>partitions won't really suffice where 7*8 = 56 might.

Hmm?

I'd think that the best thing to do would be to have the 100GB be
one really large filesystem, instead of splitting it up into little
tiny filesystems with some increasingly iconoclastic partitioning
scheme to support them on the disk. It may be that ext2 can't handle
disks that size, but that's probably a call to either (a) enhance it
so that you can use it for disks that size or (b) start using a
(still unwritten?) filesystem that can gracefully deal with 100gb
chunks of space.

____
david parsons \bi/ Cheerfully building single filesystems on 23gb disks,
\/ and crossing my fingers that the machine never crashes.