Re: 2GB-Memory-Linux: Strange Behavior

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Sun, 18 Jan 1998 13:28:57 +0100 (MET)

MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Xintian Wu wrote:
>
> > (b) swap space seems to be totally forgot by the system.
>
> yes, since this is not physical memory shortage, but virtual memory
> 'shortage'. We are hitting 32 bitness limits ...

Ho, stop! I would expect that on a machine with 2/2 memory, you would
still be able to add 4G swap. Then you should be able to have up to 6
processes each requiring close to one Gb of (virtual) memory.

As I don't have a machine with 2G of main memory, I have to trust what
I read in Xintians mail, and to me he says that this doesn't work.

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a