Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

linux kernel account (linker@nightshade.z.ml.org)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 00:57:19 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 20 Jan 1998 ak@muc.de wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 20, 1998 at 02:39:06AM +0100, linux kernel account wrote:
> >
> > Why not reconfigure the cards as the same enet address and do the load
> > balencing at the outgoing que (incoming would of course not need load
> > balencing)
>
> Because the problem is not filling single ethernets. Linux can do that
> even with one card. It is more interesting to combine to separated lines

You would have several ethernets.. Each card as one.. The reason behing
making the adresses the same and merging the ques is so that the above
layers dont have to deal with multiple cards..

It's been pointed out that this has already been done (beowolf stuff). It
seems that many want a more generic solution.. I have doubts that a
generic solution is possible (a high level solution would be slow.. Not
slow like you're thinking ppp/t1s and such should be okay.. but slow
considering people would want to use the generic code to multiples 100mb
and gigabit ethernet)..