Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Brad Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 18:25:43 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, James Mastros wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jan 1998, linux kernel account wrote:
> [...]
> > I suggest 3.0 be released once all the below are accomplished, many of
> > them already are but they need to be stable and around long enough to have
> > userspace utils..
> >
> > * Ext2fs (call it ext3 perhaps) improvements:
> > * Room in inode for 64-bit files
> > * Room in inode for 64-bit times (ctime/mtime/ possibly drop atime)
> What for? Milisecond acuracy is good enough. Drop atime? Why not ctime?
> atime is useful for deciding what to move to archival storage/compress.

What for? So we can continue using Linux in 2038. __u32 will only go so
far. I agree atime should stay, though.

> > * An alternate FS, (can be beta)
> > * Faster operation would be nice (see reiserfs)
> > * Faster checking (supposidly this will also happen in reiserfs eventually)
> > * Needn't be as mature as ext2 (can be a expirmental option)
> OK... I don't see having expermental fses in a stable tree as very good,
> however.

Log-structured filesystems sound extremely good on paper. Is there a
stable, fast, log-structured filesystem for any OS at this point?

> > * GGI support (evstack!) config option.
> Not gonna happen in 2.2... 2.3, possibly.

Optional GGI support would be good. I don't know if it would necessarily
get people to write more KGI drivers (hint: there is quite a lot of
work to be done on video chipset support, judging from the GGI snapshot
I tried in December).

Brad