Re: Crash dumps (was: Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?)

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Tue, 20 Jan 1998 22:09:44 +0100 (MET)

Werner Almesberger wrote:

> Benjamin C.R. LaHaise wrote:
> > If people really care about doing post-mortem analysis, modify the
> > boot-loader to capture an image of RAM after reboot.
>
> I did this once with LILO and found to my great disappointment that the
> BIOS would reliably garble the memory on every reset. I've tested this
> on three very different PCs (AMI, Award, and IBM(?) BIOS), so it seems
> unlikely that there are many machines around which leave useful
> information through a reset. (I used the reset button for those tests.)

As I've been forced to install W95 on one of my machines, I've been
rebooting a LOT today. What I did notice is that Linux never prevents
the memory test on a warm boot, while W95 does.

In conclusion, is Linux doing the 0x1234 thingy, and is it working?

Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl ** +31-15-2137555 ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ **
Florida -- A 39 year old construction worker woke up this morning when a