Re: PATCH: Unix98 pty support.

Mike Jagdis (mike@roan.co.uk)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 17:10:53 +0000 (GMT/BST)

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> I think the solution for this is that SCO emulated binaries will have
> different root, in which it will have it's own devices.

No they bloody DON'T! They run, transparently, in whatever
environment you have. This is as intended. They are programs.
They should just run. The user should not have to piss about!

> We have such a code
> already for solaris, sunos and irix in the kernel.

We've had iBCS for x86 Unix "emulation" for even longer. You don't
need chrooted environments, and shouldn't. The iBCS philosophy is
that "foreign" programs should just work. Not lose chunks of
file space just because they are forced into an unexpected chroot.

If that is how it is done for solaris, sunos and irix I would
suggest they need fixing - not x86 breaking!

Mike

|  Mike Jagdis                  |  Internet:  mailto:mike@roan.co.uk   |
|  Roan Technology Ltd.         |                                      |
|  54A Peach Street, Wokingham  |  Telephone:  +44 118 989 0403        |
|  RG40 1XG, ENGLAND            |  Fax:        +44 118 989 1195        |