Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Stefan Monnier (monnier+lists/linux/kernel/news/@TEQUILA.SYSTEMSZ.CS.YALE.EDU)
21 Jan 1998 13:09:23 -0500

Brad Keryan <keryan@andrew.cmu.edu> writes:
> Log-structured filesystems sound extremely good on paper. Is there a
> stable, fast, log-structured filesystem for any OS at this point?

AIX's LFS, IRIX's XFS, Digital Unix's AdvFS. These are pretty fast and stable.
WinNT's NTFS is supposed to be log-structured too and reasonably stable (don't
know about speed, but making anything fast within WinNT is not easy).

SunOS's ufs has also been hacked by adding a log to it. I don't know if it's
fast and/or stable, though.

Of course, there's also BSD's LFS, but I don't know if it's stable in any
current BSD derivative.

I'm sure there are others,

Stefan