Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?

Steven Suson (suson@tti.TuckerEnergy.com)
Wed, 21 Jan 1998 13:02:25 -0600

> From: Kamran <kamran@wallybox.cei.net>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 10:00:53 -0600 (CST)
> Subject: Re: 3.0 wishlist Was: Overview of 2.2.x goals?
>
> Hi,
>
> >Actually the Cray Origin 2000 systems do something like this. The pages
> >can migrate between nodes and the OS tries to automatically arrange the
> >physical location of the pages so that memory access to remote nodes is
> >minimized. I'm not sure how well this actually works in practice though.
>
> I didn't know this, but I seem to be right in the assumption that one can
> not easily find distributed shared memory in more-available systems.
>
> >It could be helpful to people who want to run numeric codes that were
> >developed for the T3D/E, Origin 2000, etc. It probably wouldn't be that
> >difficult to build something like the Cray distributed shmem library on
> >top of DIPC.
>
> Scientific programming is among the ideal domains for DIPC. Linux is more
> available than some of the systems you mentioned above, so I guess porting
> such libraries will be a great help to many people.
>
> This is not just about performance: People can develop and test their
> applications on cheap multi-computers, built using Linux, and then run it
> on more speedy hardware, if they ever need to.
>
> Such things will also result in more programs being developed, as more
> people will have the needed equipment to do so.
>
> >Regards
> >Emil
>
> - -Kamran

Greeting,

Just had to jump into this... VAX/VMS has as distributed shared memory with VAX clusters, since the early 80's. I
was on a project where the VMS Distributed Lock Manager was use to control access/updates to just such shared memory.

Steve Suson
"Keep the faith."