Re: where is everyone or is linux stable ?

Adam J. Richter (adam@yggdrasil.com)
Fri, 23 Jan 1998 15:04:22 -0800

In article <6aaeh9$fsu$1@miriam.fuller.edu>,
Christoph Lameter <clameter@miriam.fuller.edu> wrote:
>Note that this was an action on the part of the vger maintainer who forced a
>shutdown of the gateway.
>
>Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu> wrote:
[...]
>: The mail to news gateway between this group and the linux-kernel mailing
>: list hosted at vger.rutgers.edu was turned off.

There was a problem with spam flowing in the usenet->mail
direction of the gateway, but I would certainly like to see flow
restored in the mail->news direction. I think it would attract more
code development again and would make it easier for people to get answers
about "what's the status of foo" without needing to using the time
of human contributors as much.

The vger sysadmin (whom I will not name unless he chooses to
identify himself, so as not to personalize this unnecessarily)
explained me that he was just following the will of the developers:

| I also want to let you know that every single Linux developer I have
| contacted on this matter (they are numerous, not just a few) either
| face to face (at conferences) or via email, completely support me on
| this matter.

This is how the views of the membership of this list were
presented to me by the vger sysadmin. I have never quite believed
that explanation, since a number of people went to all the trouble of
setting up their own gateways to linux.dev.kernel, which is not that
easy to do. However, I have kept my nose out of it, modifying nothing
in our configuration, but also not resubscribing the linux.* posting
aliases to any of the lists from which the vger sysadmin removed them.

Also note that the vger sysadmin agreed that whatever the list
wanted to do with respect to usenet gatewaying was fine by him. So,
if he is perceived as having "forced a shutdown", then that perception
should be corrected. Whatever you folks want to do is fine.

I, for one, would like to see flow restored in the email->news
direction.

Adam J. Richter __ ______________ 4880 Stevens Creek Blvd, Suite 205
adam@yggdrasil.com \ / San Jose, California 95129-1034
fax +1 408 261-6631 "Free Software For The Rest Of Us."