Re: semantics of wppage() and distributed shared memory

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 26 Jan 1998 15:54:12 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 26 Jan 1998, Noel Burton-Krahn wrote:

> struct vm_operations_struct contains several functions which are unused by
> my kernel (2.0.32) such as advise(), sync(), and wppage(). They are unued
> now, but I would like to use wppage(). What were its sematics?

It doesn't actually have any semantics: it was never implemented.

I _meant_ for it to be the same kind of callback as "nopage" is, to let
anybody do his own management of copy-on-write behaviour, but nothing
needed it so it was just left as a stub in mm.h.

In short, if you have a use for it, please post your suggested semantics,
and the rationale for it, and I'll try to think about it for a while. But
this really is a case of somebody having to come up with a sane
implementation and be able to make a good case for why it should be
considered the right thing to do..

Linus