Re: OFFTOPIC: GGI and alternative GUIs and windowing systems in Linux -LONG

Harald Koenig (koenig@tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de)
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 08:28:56 +0100

On Jan 26, Tuukka Toivonen wrote:

> >could be saved by your approach. You could measure this by hacking Xt
> >to log all transactions with the X server.
>
> There's already a program that runs between X client and server and logs
> all transactions. (Don't remember its name just now but i can dig it up if
> someone is really interested.)

I'm using `xscope' for this; should be on ftp.x.org.

> >And does this traffic really matter with modern networks?
>
> Not everyone has modern network. I sometimes run X programs over 14400bps
> modem line, but I would do this much more often, if it just would work
> faster.

ever tried LBX in XFree86 3.3.1 (X11R6.3) ?
haven't tried myself but I heard that this should be a big win for some applications.

Harald

--
All SCSI disks will from now on                     ___       _____
be required to send an email notice                0--,|    /OOOOOOO\