Re: Patch: 2.1.81: Index Configure.help(using mmap and C)

Adam Heath (adam@brainiac.egr.msu.edu)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 10:53:16 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 27 Jan 1998, Trevor Johnson wrote:

> I tried your patch with 2.1.82. When I did "make menuconfig" I got a
> new warning:
>
> help.c:36: warning: `start_off' might be used uninitialized in this
> function
>
> I made this change, and the warning went away:

The current patch I am working on does not suffer this.

> I played a bit with "make config" and "make menuconfig" and found an
> anomaly: the help for CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL disappeared.

That was a bug that I noticed to. It is fixed in the current version.

> I also noticed two snall problems which are also present in the stock
> kernel (and may be beyond the scope of your patch):
>
> --with ARCH = i386, help is available for CONFIG_M386 and the other CPUs,
> but "make config" doesn't show a question mark as an option, which
> elsewhere indicates that help is available.

This is a bug in make config. I did a grep for "choice" in all
config.in's, and noticed that it is a little used option. The
arch/*/config.in's used, along with ftape. I ran config, and had the same
problem with ftape along with CONFIG_M386.

> --no help for CONFIG_BSD_PROCESS_ACCT.

Not a problem with my patch. The help isn't there. Do a grep on
Configure.help.

> Otherwise, everything seemed to work.

Thanks. I think you will like the current version better, though. It
doesn't create a bunch of small files. It just makes an index, and uses
that to extract the help. It can index several files, so that you have
one monolithic Configure.help, and also several small files in
Documentation/config. Watch for the patch here.

> ___
> Trevor Johnson

Adam