Re: warning: `cpu_data' redefined

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Wed, 28 Jan 1998 20:42:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 28 Jan 1998, Michael Elizabeth Chastain wrote:
> George with no last name writes:
> > In file included from /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/linux/sched.h:73,
> > from signal.c:10:
> > /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/asm/processor.h:52: warning: `cpu_data' redefined
> > /var/src/linux-2.1.82/include/linux/modules/i386_ksyms.ver:48: warning: this is the location of the previous definition
>
> I bet that you ran 'make dep', and then at a later point changed the
> setting of the __SMP__ flag, and then did not run 'make dep' again.
>
> cpu_data is a real variable in SMP, and a macro in the non-smp case.
> And the .ver files do not get remade automatically every time they
> need to be (although they sure get remade a lot when they don't).
Having CONFIG_SMP (as a "real" config option) would fix this (I think) --
sigh!

> I have no patch for this one. I would very much like to have a brand
> new CONFIG_MODVERSIONS facility before 2.2.0 though. Communicating
> type signatures via .ver files is fucked up from the word go.
And how would you do it? (From a "vauge plan" standpoint, not from a
"patches that acatually work prefered" stadnpoint <G>.)

-=- James Mastros

--
   "I'd feel worse if it was the first time.  I'd feel better if it was
   the last."