Re: 2.1.82 boot failure

Kevin Lentin (kevinl@cs.monash.edu.au)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 14:47:09 +1100

On Tue, Jan 27, 1998 at 11:21:44PM +0100, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > I just tried to fire up 2.1.82. Bare, no fancy modules. When it
> > boots it block. The only relevant message seems to be:
> >
> > Ocuh, no kerneld for message 2147418113
>
> Try booting with init=/bin/bash, this seems to be userland problem. Is
> root fs compiled in kernel?

This is a kerneld request for net-pf-1. It appears that the process of
starting kerneld actually triggers a request for unix domain sockets. The
request fails since kerneld is still starting. Soon afterwards, another
request comes through and the module gets loaded. It probably isn't related
to your problem. I get it on every boot and everything works fine
(including the loading of net-pf-1 [unix])

I patched ipc/ipc.c so that the printk around line 230 looks like this:

printk(KERN_ALERT "Ouch, no kerneld for message %ld [%.*s]\n",
msgid, tmsg->msg_ts-4, tmsg->msg_spot+4);

That will add the name of the module to the message. I'm CC'ing this to
Linus so that he might add this patch so we can see which modules the
kernel is asking for.

--
[     Kevin Lentin               Email: K.Lentin@cs.monash.edu.au      ]