Re: Suitable chipset for a pocket linux box

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Thu, 29 Jan 1998 13:55:47 +0100 (MET)

On Thu, 29 Jan 1998, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> > The worst thing is they removed the MMU :-(
>
> No, the basic 68000 DOES NOT have MMU, thus they removed nothing.
> The first CPU in 68K series with internal MMU is 68030.

True, but the 68020 (and 68010 AFAIR) is also designed to work with an
external MMU. Although the MMU chip for the 68010 was strange.

> Now I wonder why you would want to have a MMU in an embedded
> application system.. I do think the MMU is something for
> multi-user time-shared systems, and not space-constrained,
> and possibly power-constrained gadgets.
> (Sure it would be "cool" to have Linux running at my wrist-
> watch and show the time thru X, but why I should burn all
> those wats of power ? Just to keep my wrist warm ?)

Look at the docs of recent embedded RISC chips. Some MMU can
operate in two modes of operations:

- one is to define which areas of memory are
cacheable/write-through/write-back attributes. In the era of on chip
caches even for embedded processors, it is necessary.

- the other mode is a normal MMU mode (paging) for PDA...

And do not forget that keeping instructions and data in the cache
actually saves power, since in these chips very often the I/O buffers
dissipate a significant proportion of the power when they are enabled.

Gabriel

P.S: I now think we should stop this thread or make it private, it is not
about kernel development.