Re: 2.1.8x: ISA ne2000 as a module broken

David Wragg (dpw@doc.ic.ac.uk)
Sat, 31 Jan 1998 18:54:25 GMT

Horst von Brand <vonbrand@pc17.usm.edu.ec> writes:
> When trying to insmod (from modutils-2.1.71) the module, it fails claiming
> not to find the card. 2.1.78 works fine (the kernels in between have
> serious problems with NFS(also module) from a plain RedHat-5.0/2.0.32
> system too: They hang at random). Latest kernel I tried is 2.1.84. Besides,
> something changed in 2.1.84, so kerneld compiled for that one won't work on
> earlier kernels.

I have an ISA NE2000-clone in my machine, and it has worked fine in
recent 2.1 kernels, including 2.1.83.

Looking at drivers/net/ne.c, it doesn't probe if compiled as a module,
and I seem to remember that it once did, so maybe the problem is that
you need to specify the io ports and irq explitly. I have the
following lines in my conf.modules:

alias eth0 ne
options ne io=0x300 irq=10

--