Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: Motherboards

Mon, 2 Feb 1998 18:39:37 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Woodstock wrote:

> It was under MY impression that running both SIMMs and DIMMs concurrently
> was a BAD thing. And any motherboard that actually DOES support the both
> is a horrible hack that will lack in system performance. And your friend
> is correct, ASUS won't do both, for this exact reason.

A motherboard that supports 3.3V SDRAM DIMMs and 5V FPM/EDO SIMMs
is a pretty nasty hack, though some even officially claim to support
it (such as the Gigabyte GA586SG). Note that anything officially
supporting it also probably has a non-intel chipset with logic designed
to do so intelligently.

Also, mixing (on the same board) 5V EDO SIMMs and 5V EDO DIMMs
isn't particularly nasty, is supported on the Asus boards,
though I don't really see a point of it.

(then again, there still isn't anything out there, including Asus,
that's a worth successor to the P55T2P4)

Simon Karpen slk@shodor.org
Sysadmin, Shodor Education Foundation

"On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament!], `Pray,
Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right
answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of
confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
-- Charles Babbage