Re: 2.1.84: no IDE DMA

B. James Phillippe (bryan@Terran.ORG)
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 21:45:31 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Jim Bray wrote:

> I noticed a thread running on this. I have recently been working with a
> Pentium Pro with I believe the PIIX PCI [I don't know the machine inside

Hi Jim. I'm the originator of that thread. It's since gone to
(infrequent) private email between myself, Gadi Oxman and Mark Lord.

> out; just helping as220.org get it going]. I also noticed that I am not
> getting DMA, and hdparm -d 1 gets an "operation not permitted" error.
> DMA works with the old 2.0.33 that was on the thing, but is gone in
> 2.1.8(2|4). Machine seems to have an ancient AMI bios: copyright '92,

This is my exact problem, except my BIOS is latest revision available for
my board (AWARD BIOS dated December 30, 1996).

My mobo is a Tyan Titan III 1468 with Intel Triton II 430FX chipset. It
worked beautifully in kernels prior to the last 10+ development patchlevels
(broken around 60-someodd, I think).

thanks,
-bp

--