Re: Linux 2.0.3x & gcc 2.8

Gabriel Paubert (paubert@iram.es)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 11:01:17 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Philip Blundell wrote:

> >No, you have to convince Alan Cox, that it should. Seems he doesn't like
> >to fix anything for gcc-280.
>
> If you can get people to run kernels with gcc 2.8.0 and this patch for a few
> weeks and convince everyone that nothing breaks, it can probably go into
> 2.0.34. Putting it in otherwise is implicitly saying "gcc 2.8.0 is ok", and
> that's a dangerous thing to do.

gcc-2.8.0 will break at least 3 network drivers. I've already published
patches for it. But given the large (about 3) number of people who are
using them, I would not go for inclusion right now. I've only got success
reports, though ;)

And the same problem which is hidden by gcc-2.7 (bad or insufficiently
tight constraints in asm statements) might pop up in other places. I did
indeed perform a search and found a few places where it could bite,
depending on compiler options like optimization level, CPU type...

Gabriel.