Re: pci_read_config_byte in 2.1.85

Philip Blundell (pb@nexus.co.uk)
Wed, 04 Feb 1998 12:27:38 +0000

In message <19980204095340.11476@albireo.ucw.cz>, Martin Mares writes:
>for APIC IRQ's. IMHO it is not the right solution to the problem: no drivers
>should read the interrupt number from config registers directly (if they do,
>they are broken and should be fixed as this scheme already breaks on the Ultra
>),
>they should use pci_dev->irq instead which can be set by arch-dependent fixup
>function. I propose moving this translation to i386 pci_bios_fixup(), are

The vast majority of drivers are broken, in that case. In the net
directory, only de4x5 and Happy Meal seem to use the pci_dev method,
and in de4x5 this only happens for Ultra - all other archs use a
direct config read.

BTW, it would make life easier if the pci code provided a function to
return (a pointer to) the pci_dev struct for a device given its bus
and dev/fn numbers, rather than each driver having to include code to
search the list.

p.