Re: sound <-> kerneld

James Mastros (root@jennifer-unix.dyn.ml.org)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 20:23:12 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 4 Feb 1998, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but there is a conceptual problem
> with the modularized sound driver, as well as with some other modules.
>
> using kerneld for the sound driver (or ftape for example), just doesn't
> work:

[...]
> This could be fixed when "sound" automatically loads another module
> (ftape automatically tries this), but I think there simply is a design
> problem, somehow kerneld (or the kernel) should know that 3 modules
> really are ONE, otherwise, these modularizing approaches get messy.
Or it needs to be told to reload the "sb" module (as in your plan, I assume
-- by the audio code, though the rest of these would be by generic code), or
the "audio" module (as would happen under devfs), or the
"char-device-major-14-minor-4" (as I think probably should happen), instead
of "char-device-major-14", as happens now.

-=- James Mastros

--
   "I'd feel worse if it was the first time.  I'd feel better if it was
   the last."