Re: Linux 2.0.3x & gcc 2.8

Kurt Garloff (garloff@kg1.ping.de)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 09:15:25 +0100 (CET)

On 4 Feb 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> As far as I have seen, the _only_ valid gcc-2.8.0-related patch is to
> arch/i386/kernel/ioport.c, which is already included in the 2.1.x
> release. Including it into a 2.0.x verison is ok.

Yes, fine. This will help most people.

It would be also a good idea to add some comment into string.h or
README or whatever telling people to use gcc-272x if they want to be sure
having a stable kernel.
What about designating a web page for the "gcc/egcs and kernel problems"
for collecting and testing such patches for those who want/need it and
point people running into problems to it?
I'd suggest one of the kernel gurus to do that, but if nobody else wants
to, I could.

I myself am totally happy using egcs snapshots for the kernel and doing a
few patches to it by myself. (And I happen to administrate a server with 8
Terminals and high load which is up now for nearly a month with the ioport
fix and compiled by egcs-1.0.1.)

Kurt Garloff, Dortmund
<K.Garloff@ping.de>