Re: sound <-> kerneld

Thomas Sailer (sailer@ife.ee.ethz.ch)
Thu, 05 Feb 1998 11:13:14 +0100

Marc Lehmann wrote:

> nobody else seems to have mentioned it, but there is a conceptual problem
> with the modularized sound driver, as well as with some other modules.
>
> using kerneld for the sound driver (or ftape for example), just doesn't
> work:
>
> 1. access the sound driver.. in my case "sb" is loaded, which depends
> on sound, which is loaded and registers the device.

Congratulations, you just noticed that the dependency graph of
the sound components look like the olympic rings 8)
The right way IMHO to fix this is not to make kerneld work
with such an arrangement, but to fix sound component dependencies.
I once even had a working version of the following:

sound.o was just a simple multiplexer, which demand-loaded
the low level module (such as sb). sb in turn depended on
the midlevel modules (audio, which contained the generic
audio things, dma buffer mgmt, etc.)

The problem there was that it worked for "dsp", I don't have
much of an idea (and interest) about midi and sequencer.

Tom