Re: Laptops (APM) & 0040 crashes

Pavel Janik ml. (Pavel.Janik@inet.cz)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 01:11:50 +0100

Date: Wednesday, Feb 4 1998 23:44:07 +0100
From: Pavel Machek <pavel@elf.ucw.cz>

> Yes, it is, but it can be worked around. Making 0x40 valid descriptor
> pointing to right page should help. (Windows do it that way.) I
> thought about it and wrote rather long mail about it to Pavel Janik
> ml. SHould be doable. But I do not have such laptop so I have no
> reason to do it.

Hi,

my machine is AcerNote 350EC - this machine is blacklisted in
apm_bios.c as:

* U: ACER 486DX4/75: uses dseg 0040, in violation of APM specification
* [Confirmed by BIOS disassembly]

but my notebook is even capable to power off on shutdown -h :-) We
simply dumped the bios from ROM, try it to APM set state from user
space and it seg faults. We make a full dissasembly of the fault part
and simply nop's the loading of #40 to ds and flush the fixed BIOS
back - everything is available (for 350EC) on
ftp://ftp.inet.cz/pub/People/Pavel.Janik/APM (as I can remember)

As time is so short to me, I stopped working on this, but in the near
future I'd like to make my battery stats and suspend-to-disk
working. Any testers?

Uwe Muessel is working on 370(?) - Uwe, can you mail me back, please?

--
Pavel Janik ml.
Pavel.Janik@inet.cz